On the green at the top of School Lane is a simple granite combined War Memorial in the form of a Celtic Cross erected in 1920 and inscribed with twenty names of those that fell in the Great War.
Six additional names were added on a separate plaque following the Second World War.
Further names were added in 2002 following research for a book about the village, during the First World War, by June Underwood. The memorial was rededicated at a special service on 10 Nov 2002 to. Egbert Bates' omission was only discovered in October 2002.
We have a number of images of the green in front of the Union Chapel prior to the erection of the memorial, This is image WTPC-0063 from our digital archive, published by "W.J.Humphries, Boot Warehouse, Weston Turville" with earliest Postmark 20 Sep 1914. Village Green before the memorial
The Original Names on War Memorial
The Inter-war years
Inscriptions on the North-West Face of Monument 2012