Weston Turville‎ > ‎Buildings‎ > ‎

The Brills

From Research notes by Hamish Eaton

Brills by George Eland, Records of Bucks Vol XI No 1 1919

A Meeting Place of the Early Quakers in Buckinghamshire

G-T- De Fraine & Co Ltd, Bucks Herald Office, Aylesbury.



 

15th C.

1460?

Two-storied timber-framed wattle and daub farmhouse, old beams/crucks still evident, thatched roof. (Wattle = willow; daub = chopped straw/clay

C. 1600

Fireplaces and chimney stack added, roof raised to form attic, enlarged and improved; chimney - rag (lower chalf) and clunch (limestone?)

1590

Thomas Edmonds, labourer, obtains 7 acres from Nicholas Fowntayne, yeoman of Ivinghoe.

1612

Richard Browne of Wandsworth obtains newly erected Brownes Wick occupied by William Bledlowe from Thomas Edmonds, son of Thos Edmonds Senior; (Newly erected may refer to heightening, chimneys, enlargements of c. 1600)

1613

Richard Plaistow, yeoman, obtains Brebons/Burtons Wick from Richard Browne.

1639

Bartholomew Baldwin, Gent (of Aylesbury?) obtains Cowcroft from Richard Browne.

1643

Richard Browne obtains a messuage in Towne Close

1666

William Baker, farmer

1667

John Browne obtains property occupied by Annis/Amos? Gardner from Henry and Richard Babham, Gents. John Browne gives wife Elizabeth, cottage occupied by John Slye, carpenter

1666

John Brown has his goods taken by Distress to the value of £15 at the suit of John Stokes of Weston Turvill, tithe farmer'. (Quaker refusal to pay tithes to the 'steeple house' [church])

1668

To Dr John Raunce, physician of High Wycombe, married to Elizabeth daughter of John Brown, cottage occupied by Annis/Amos Gardner with provision for Quaker friends under the terms of John Brown's will. (2nd marriage)

1669

Minute Book of quarterly meetings of Society of Friends for the ‘Lower Side’ of Bucks and Herts, Beds & Oxon, kept by Thomas Ellwood (friend of John Milton)

1670

John Brown imprisoned for tithe 'at the suit of William Baker, tithe farmer of Weston Turville. J. Brown suffered distress of his barley for being at a meeting in Aylesbury. Fined £8 (3 cows and 1 bull) for being at a meeting in Tring.

1678

Friends break bail from Aylesbury gaol, gaoler paid £1.13s.8d in 1679

Friends made payments to members in distress and grants for apprenticeships

John Brown persecuted by landlords - John Stokos, farmer

1683

John Raunce, Dr, friend of Thomas Ellwood, secretary 1669-1713

1684

Jane Browne, widow of John Browne, offered meeting house, behind 'Brills'

to Friends

1685

Richard Plaistow, Gent of Srnall Dean, obtained 5 yards in Sowe/Towne Field from Jane Browne, widow of John Browne

1687

Thomas Page admonished by meeting for trading Bone Lace; "wherefore we in the name and authority of God unanimously and do with one consent judge, condemn, deny, and declare against that practice and employment of making or in any way dealing in Bone lace, as a thing wholly useless in the Creation as an hindrance and obstruction to the spreading and prosperity of Truth, and as a support to Pride and Vanity, which the fire of the Lord is kindled against."

1689

Farm let by Jane Browne to George Brill, her servant.

1697

Meeting House required thatching. Burial ground on opposite side of road.

1707

Weston Farm - included Browne Wick in Towne Close?

1714

Rent on property raised, John Smith and Thomas Edmonds to speak to George Brill who had not paid tithes to the 'steeple house’

1713

Daniel Wharley secretary vice Thos Ellwood deceased, held post to 1721

1726

Quakers last meeting at Weston Turville, removed to Sherrington. Beds, 1727, then to Aylesbury. Meetings kept minutes since 1669 - still held by the Society of Friends - despite harassment from local landowners.

 

Brill family occupied farm through the 18th C

1798

Owned by the Marquis of Buckingham, Frank Brill tenant? Still known as 'Quakers Meeting Houser’ - cottage behind Brills later demolished

1800

Divided into 2 tenements, new fireplace in West half, old step ladders replaced by two staircases (East and West halves)

1830

West half - The Black Horse, licensed beerhouse, John Axtell

1851

Property to William Purssell and family until 1919

1856

Licensee - Joseph Axtell

1867

Licensee - Charles Edwin Axtell

1918

Licence expires Midsummer

1928

George Eland, historian

 

Matthewson